Thursday, January 24, 2013

Up in SMOKE!

 



Now this blog isn’t intended to be a lecture on the why you shouldn’t smoke…the illnesses smoking causes….the cost and the other host of reasons that bombard us, because like me, if you were or are a smoker, it just doesn’t help!  With the best intentions (and we make those frequently) put a drink in your hand at the local pub, meet up with friends, go on holiday and chill with your sangria or other favourite tipple, the best intentions fly out of the window like a gust of wind. 



Smoking = Chill out. 

Smoking = Time out…even if that time out has to be spent huddled in a corner of a dingy building or on the pavement freezing your nether regions off outside the night club or on the garden patio under a hoody trying to keep out of the rain. 

Smoking = The treat when things go right. 

Smoking = The comforter when things go wrong. 

Smoking is the cigarette buddy that keeps you company even if no-one's there.

Smoking is the alternative to that cream cake, so you can continue to fit into your jeans.

When you try to give up it’s just isn’t as easy as they say!


Chill out.  Me time.  Comforter. Weight Watcher.



These are powerful things that magnetise us to the cigarette buddy.  Without it what will you do with your hands?  What will you do when you’re standing outside the club watching your mates dragging on their cigarette buddy?  What would you do when you have that drink that reminds you your cigarette buddy isn’t there anymore?  What would you do when your other half has ticked you off , or your boss has sacked you or…or….or….?



Where will you get the WILL POWER that’s needed to say NO when your mate’s wafting a fag under your nose?

When you try to give up it’s just isn’t as easy as they say!



I was a smoker.  I smoked on average twenty cigarettes a day.  I haven’t smoked for 22 years.  I stress 22 years!! Now that might seem like a statement that I’m over the hill (and I am) or it could be taken that if I can do it (give up smoking) and keep to it for so long it MUST mean YOU CAN because one thing’s for sure I don’t have an exclusive brand of will power.  I have the same amount as you.  I just decided to USE IT.



I loved smoking BUT I decided that my children needed a mother and if I was diagnosed with an illness I’d brought on myself the torment of the illness let alone the illness itself would be unbearable.  



Now as statistics show children who have parents who smoke are highly likely to smoke themselves this fact shouldn’t be ignored.  I proved the statistic right as I’ve watched my children all become smokers and the story starts again….

BUT

My daughter now doesn’t smoke AT ALL after many, many attempts to kick the habit.  Whilst I make no personal claim for its success, she managed to become a non smoker by using Ciggys electronic cigarettes which I was told is an electronic vapour cigarette without the harmful chemicals of normal cigarettes.   I’ve got to say that watching my daughter puffing on her electronic cigarette in the house and on the plane and in the restaurant shocked me but she wanted to stop smoking and this was her method. 



She stopped buying real cigarettes and in less than a year she had kicked her habit completely - No more cigarettes real or fake!  Am I saying this is the way to do it?  The answer’s NO.  I gave up naturally using my choice and will power.  My daughter gave up using an electronic cigarette.  She's given me their website. http://www.ciggyselectroniccigarettes.co.uk/

One thing’s for sure, in my personal experience both ways have clearly worked.  Finally, one thing a cigarette smoker should remember:


Cigarettes can take you away (prematurely) from the people you love and who love you!



LB xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment